Announcing the release of Keyman 15.0
15 June, 2022
We are pleased to announce that Keyman 15.0 is now available for download!
Two major features have been added to our iOS, Android and Web platforms:
We've made many bug fixes and improvements (see the version history), and are highlighting just a few of them here.
New Localizations - Many Nigerian languages provided by Translators Without Borders:
- Demgal Fulfulde
- Mandala (Wandala)
- Shuwa (Latin)
- Simplified Chinese
- Check the Keyman Roadmap - March 2022 for upcoming features.
Keyman 15.0 Feedback
- Please send feedback about Keyman 15 to the Keyman Community site or submit bugs and feature requests to our Issue Tracker
Keyman 15 for Windows
- keyman-15.0.268.exe stable (released 2022-08-04, 84.53 MB)
- All Keyman 15 for Windows stable releases
What's New in Keyman 15 for Windows?
- Use Keyman Core internally (#5443)
Keyman 15 for macOS
What's New in Keyman 15 for macOS?
- Localizable UI through translate.keyman.com (#5869)
- Display Unicode package name correctly instead of '????' (#6016)
- Increase OSK chracter size by 50%
- Add support for M1 processor (#5701)
Keyman 15 for Linux
What's New in Keyman 15 for Linux?
- Now supports Ubuntu 21.04 (Hirsute), 21.10 (Impish), and 22.04 (Jammy)
- Improvements in Debian packaging (#5022)
- Fix crash when displaying certain keyboard details (#5758)
- Caps Lock Stores (#5497)
- Support for Ubuntu Jammy 22.04 (#6037) and Impish 21.10 (#5334)
- fcitx5 integration (#5215)
- Improve installation of packages in shared location (#6015)
- Automated integration tests with Keyman Core
- Lots of bugfixes
- Ubuntu, Wasta-Linux: Keyman for Linux can be installed via launchpad:
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:keymanapp/keyman sudo apt upgrade sudo apt install keyman
Keyman 15 for Android
|Get Keyman for Android|
What's new in Keyman 15 for Android?
- English keyboard can now be removed (#5838)
- Add a menu to adjust keyboard height (#5606)
- Add support for haptic feedback (vibration) when typing (#6626)
- Add a settings option to change the displayed keyboard name on the spacebar
- Improve the globe key experience for switching keyboards (#5437, #5973):
- Short press and release the globe key to immediately switch to next keyboard
- Long press and release the globe key to bring up the keyboard picker menu
- Allow switching to other system IME's in the keyboard picker menu
- Select numeric layer when entering a number field (#5664)
- Improved performance (#5376)
Keyman 15 for iPhone and iPad
|Get Keyman for iPhone and iPad|
What's new in Keyman 15 for iPhone and iPad?
- Various tweaks, bug fixes, and performance improvements
- Fix popup key style and positioning (#6383)
- Prevent installation of packages that don't contain a compatible keyboard file (#5698)
- Update minimum iOS version to 12.1 (#5165)
What's New in KeymanWeb 15?
- Refactored OSK Core
- Promise-based API (#5389, #5260, #5121)
- Improve keyboard switch performance (#5958)
- Enable mouse interaction for the predictive banner (#5739)
Keyman Developer 15
- keymandeveloper-15.0.268.exe stable (released 2022-08-04, 117.11 MB)
- All Keyman Developer 15 stable releases
What's new in Keyman Developer 15?
Breaking changes for keyboard developers
We work hard to minimize the potential for breaking changes to Keyman. We sometimes must make a change which may not be 100% backwardly compatible, either to correct a bug, or to address security issues. Breaking changes are changes which may prevent an existing keyboard from building without modification with the new compiler. The following issues are known breaking changes in Keyman 15.0 for keyboard developers:
- Keyboard compiler now warns on inconsistent use of Caps Lock to prevent unexpected behavior of the keyboard in use -- [blog post](https://blog.keyman.com/2022/04/how-to-resolve-caps-and-ncaps-ambiguity-in-keyman-keyboards/) (#6347)
Other changes for Keyman Developer:
- Core-based debugger (#5425, #5448, #5513)
- Keyman Developer Server (#6033,#6034,#6035,#6036)
- Keyboard compiler now warns on inconsistent use of Caps Lock to prevent unexpected behavior of the keyboard in use (#6347)
- Improved native-mode debugger (#5696, #5640, #5647)
- Improve drag+drop integration of keys with the Touch Layout Editor (#6435)
- Web test no longer needs Developer tools for touch testing (#5723)
Add support for
U_xxxx_yyyy_...identifiers so you can emit more than a single Unicode character with touch keys without additional kmn code (#5894)
- Keyman Developer debugger no longer depends on Keyman for Windows (#5588)
- live reload of web debugger (#6035)
Changes for Keyman Engine
We work hard to minimize the potential for breaking changes to Keyman. We sometimes must make a change which may not be 100% backwardly compatible, either to correct a bug, or to address security issues. The following issues are known breaking changes in Keyman Engine 15.0:
- Breaking: Keyman for Android now enforces minimum Chrome version 37.0 (#5017)
- Breaking: KeymanWeb's OSK property (keyman.osk) is now only available after the promise returned from keyman.init is fulfilled (#5412)
Other changes for Keyman Engine 15.0:
- Keyman Engine for Android no longer needs internet access
- Infrastructure for WASM - for future LDML keyboard support (#5233)
- Inline On Screen Keyboard (#5665)
- Improved security in incxstr / decxstr
There are many ways you can help: get involved in the Keyman project now!